2-5 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE
The Paralegal researches law, investigates facts and prepares documents to assist onsite attorneys by performing a variety of support duties.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Supports medium-sized Medical Malpractice Litigation law firm with high volume and document intensive caseload.
- Understands Illinois court rules, guidelines and procedures, both standard and electronic.
- Upon request, prepares legal documents such as subpoenas, correspondence, etc.
- Performs clerical duties such as scheduling appointments, providing information to callers, scanning and coding, and composing and typing correspondence.
- Organizes and prepares medical records for attorney review and production.
- Upon request, supports and assists with trial and witness preparation.
- Organizes and maintains client files.
- Familiar with software including Microsoft Office, Adobe, Billing, etc.
- Researches and understands legal sources such as statutes, recorded judicial decisions, legal articles and legal codes.
- Prepares drafts of legal documents for attorney review such as responses, complaints, and discovery.
- Manages deposition scheduling for subpoenaed witnesses.
- Able to research, interact with, and retain experts.
- Drafts authorization or documentation as needed for obtaining medical records.
- Gathers Exhibits for Trial but with supervision.
- Other tasks as assigned by attorneys or coordinators depending on need and consistent with expectations at this skill level.
SKILLS LISTED BELOW ARE FAVORABLE
- Investigates facts of case to determine causes of action and to prepare case accordingly.
- Demonstrates expertise with software including Microsoft Office, Adobe, Billing, etc.
- Requires minimal supervision.
- Able to identify key issues when preparing attorney deposition and meeting materials.
- Requires some direction but has understanding of case needs from beginning through trial.
- Drafts medical case summaries or abstracts when required.
- Researches medical conditions and medical literature.
- Demonstrates excellent proofreading skills.
- Demonstrates familiarity with FOIA and other methods of obtaining government or official records.
- Gathers exhibits for trial with little supervision.
- Able to prepare pleadings and discovery requiring minimal attorney revision.
- Prepares case, files, scheduling, experts and witnesses for trial with little supervision.
- Demonstrates ability to anticipate and identify attorney and case needs.
- Accepts problem and urgent situations and handles them accordingly without requiring substantial attorney attention.
- Requires little direction.
- Problem Solving
- Teamwork Orientation
- Communication Proficiency
- Personal Effectiveness
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED WORK HOURS
This is a full-time position. Typical workweek is Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., 7 paid hours per day. Extra time and overtime may be available.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- Associates degree or higher, or 2-5 years legal experience and/or training
- Paralegal certificate of completion preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
Please submit your resume and salary requirements to Sue at NewHires@lowis-gellen.com